Job Title: Development Manager
Employment Basis: 30 hours per week (0.8 FTE)
Salary: £26,000 – £30,000 pro rata, dependent on experience
Employer: The Architecture Centre
Location of Post: The Architecture Centre, 16 Narrow Quay, Bristol, BS1 4QA
Reporting to: Director
Probationary Period: 6 months
Period: 2 Years (fixed term, with an ambition to extend, subject to success)
Holiday: 25 days, plus bank holidays pro rata
All offers of employment are subject to the receipt of satisfactory references.
We seek a Development Manager who has skills to negotiate sponsorships and membership agreements with our corporate partners, generate event bookings and hires, and has a deep-rooted commitment to the charitable goals of The Architecture Centre’.
Under new leadership The Architecture Centre is growing. We have a strong base of partners across the region, and now need an experienced Development Manager to nurture and cultivate these relationships.
Corporate Memberships, Sponsorship & Donations
Over the last 6 months we have worked with our corporate partners and board to carefully design new corporate memberships and sponsorship opportunities. The Development Manager will:
- Implement and manage this new partnership strategy, working with the Director, team and board to grow our corporate membership base, whilst retaining current members, starting with warm leads, negotiating partnership opportunities and taking learning from these to forge brand new contacts and corporate partnerships..
- Secure add-on partnership opportunities around sponsorship of our international talks programme, Bristol Open Doors partnership and support of our education programmes (CSR) in line with our strategy.
- Develop a pipeline for managing relationships and opportunities
- Research potential partners and initiate conversations with new prospects
- Ensure our partnerships are mutually beneficial and that the relationships are well stewarded
- Communicate with the team and board to promote internal awareness of our partnerships, working with members of the team where a joint approach is more effective.
- Continue to hone our membership packages to meet the needs and opportunities of our partners and the centre.
Corporate Hires Strategy
The Architecture Centre manage a central space on Bristol Harbour, suitable for workshops, talks and short exhibitions. The Development Manager will:
- Implement a sales strategy and develop the hires potential to ensure a strong occupancy rate
- Manage all bookings, including placing catering orders and managing support from our pool of casual events staff where required.
- Ensure all hirers are well supported through the customer journey and return, improving our offer where required.
- Maintain a clear and well-organised booking system and check customer invoicing and payments with the book-keeper.
Communications & Reporting
- Work with our communications manager and team to design development communications, ensuring that all messaging and material is on brand.
- Work with the communications manager and director to design and implement appropriate CRM tools and to use the database regularly to track and prioritise approaches.
- Ensure partners are aware of our charitable status, mission and activities.
- Prepare short monthly reports to the team and board on progress against income targets
- Plan and manage the Development Budget in collaboration with the Director
- Recruit, train and line manage freelance events support staff, interns and volunteers as required
- Be an informed, collaborative and enthusiastic member of the organisation
- Attend relevant programme and networking events nationally and across the city
- Undertake any other duties as deemed reasonable, as requested by the Director to support the success of the organisation
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required (TOIL system)
We seek a Development Manager who has skills to negotiate sponsorships and membership agreements with our corporate partners, generate event bookings and hires, and has a deep-rooted commitment to the charitable goals of the Architecture Centre’.
You are ambitious, creative and self-motivated and can work collaboratively to achieve results – with strong diplomacy and negotiation skills. You’ll be excellent at relationship-building and your structured approach will drive new opportunities and bring others with you
- At least 2 years experience in a sales or development role
- Evidence of meeting sales, hires or development targets
- Excellent telephone and verbal communication skills
- Strong written skills and the ability to communicate a compelling offer
- Enthusiastic and personable with good negotiation skills
- Evidence of strong corporate relationship building
- Well organised and accurate with good record-keeping skills
- Good understanding of marketing and communications and how these can be used to secure partnerships
- Good understanding of organisations in the city and a network of contacts
- Degree or equivalent qualification
- Strong team player
- Experience of managing a range of stakeholders and strong advocacy skills
- Excellent team player
- Good time management skills & an ability to prioritise
- Commitment to continuing own personal development & keeping up-to-date with legislation & best practice
- Enthusiasm for architecture & culture
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Experience of working within the built environment or business sector in Bristol.
- Experience in managing staff
- Experience of using CRM systems or a ‘smart’ and structured approach to driving sales
Please provide us with a current CV and a letter of application outlining your interest in and suitability for the role. Please refer specifically to the Responsibilities and Person Specification, ensuring your letter is no longer than three pages. Address your letter to the Director.
EMAIL applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: All applications must be received by 9 am on Fri 20 March.
START DATE: April 2020, exact start date to be negotiated with the successful candidate.
INTERVIEWS: Anticipated Interview Date: Mon 23 March
The Architecture Centre is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.