“Shape My City has changed my life and I am grateful for the doors it has helped open for me and others.” Participant
“Through the programme I have gained invaluable experience and made contact with professionals in the industry” Participant
“Great example of quality work experience for our young people - big thanks to all involved.” Cllr Claire Hiscott, Cabinet Member for Education and Skills, Bristol City Council
Shape My City is all about getting young people to think about the city around them, who different places are designed for, why the city is how it is and who contributed to making it that way.
It is an opportunity for young people to get involved with industry professionals and to gain new knowledge, skills and confidence. Shape My City is targeted at girls and young people from Black and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, but is open to anyone.
Participation in the project gives young people an opportunity to:
- work with and learn from built environment/design professionals and university students
- achieve Arts Award accreditation
- gain valuable experience to enhance college/university applications
- connect with other young people across the city
- co-produce a creative public event
The project aims to:
- develop knowledge and skills about design, public art, landscaping, sustainability, planning, heritage and citizenship in young people
- develop understanding and appreciation of the art form of architecture and the impact it has on people’s lives
Discover more about Shape My City by visiting the project blog: