“Shape My City has changed my life and I am grateful for the doors it has helped open for me and others.” Participant
“Through the programme I have gained invaluable experience and made contact with professionals in the industry” Participant
Shape My City is an innovative careers and participation programme for young people, targeted at girls and those from diverse backgrounds, but open to anyone aged 15-18 years old.
Through a year long series of engaging workshops, participants have the opportunity to:
- become more aware of diverse career options available (in built environment and design sectors) and what they involve
- gain understanding of the design process by working with design professionals and university students
- develop teamwork, confidence and communication skills, essential to the world of work/study
- have their design talent celebrated through public exhibitions, events and live projects
- access informal mentoring to support college projects, university applications and work experience
- achieve nationally recognised accreditation (Arts Award)
- connect with other creative young people form across the city
- go on site visits to inspiring buildings.
The Shape My City programme runs each year from March – December.
Applications are now closed for the 2019 programme. Applications for the 2020 programme open in December 2019, in advance of this please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest in the 2020 programme.
Visit the Shape My City project blog: shapemycity.blogspot.co.uk
“A great example of quality work experience for our young people, recognising the significance of supporting diversity and equality in place making and opening up work experience opportunities to traditionally under-represented groups.” Cabinet Member for Education and Skills, Bristol City Council